Saturday, June 15, 2013

Mi Familia

June 13, 2013



We have been eagerly awaiting my Aunt and Uncles arrival in Spain!  They have given us the best wedding present; allowing us to stay in their gorgeous villa for 3 months. It has been a once in a lifetime experience and a honeymoon we will never forget.  We have become familiar with Calpe and are adjusting to the Spanish way of life quite nicely.  Being that my Aunt is a native we knew that once they were here we would be shown a more intimate side of Spanish culture. 

On the first day of their arrival they invited us to a traditional late Spanish lunch-served at 3pm- at one of their favorite restaurants.  As we looked for parking in the old town Aunt Maria quickly pointed out a back alley lot, where we ended up getting to park for free because of her connections with locals. As we approached our destinations she was greeted with open arms by the owner of the family run business.  This was our first time sharing a meal with someone who spoke Spanish, let alone being friends with owners. We were ushered into the back dining area dangling above or head were rows and rows of vintage wine bottles.  From floor to ceiling the walls were covered in hand painted Spanish tiles. Aunt Maria told us that we were sitting in what used to be a traditional Spanish home that was converted in to a restaurant years ago.  Speaking the language beautifully, Aunt Maria took control of ordering for everyone. By Spanish law restaurants must offer two specialty menus each day that include three courses and one beverage.   We started with a round of beers and tapas which included homemade potato salad, baby prawn, and pan fried lamb chops.  For the main course we were served pallaea made of pork and vegetables with a complimentary bottle of roija – red Spanish wine. For dessert we had the choice between pudding sprinkled with cinnamon and a cookie or watermelon, I had the pudding it was delicious.    

After leaving with our bellies full we headed back to the villa for afternoon swim.  I sat in the sun the rest of the day getting to know my second cousin Gabrielle, whom I had never met.  We shared stories of our childhood and talked about each other’s dreams and ambitions. At 26 years old I find it disheartening that I still have so many family members close to my age that I have never met.  Gabrielle told me about her siblings and what it was like to travel throughout Europe; I took notes on every suggestion she made.  Even though our visit was short we planned to meet up again in London where she will do an internship for part of the summer.
 
Life is full of surprises!  I look forward to each new day with excitement and anticipation. I am thrilled to have a chance to visit with my Aunt and Uncle. I plan on soaking up all their stories and truly expressing appreciation for having family like them.


With family in mind; Father’s Day is Sunday!! Don’t forget to tell your fathers, father-in-laws, or anyone who has been like a father to you just how much you love and value having them in your life.  Let them know how often you think of them by taking the time to give them a call or by going and spending some time with them.  Happy Father’s Day Diddy & John!   


2 comments:

Jerry and Penny said...

Hard to believe you've been gone 3 months already....and so much experiences you have had! Thanks for wishing me a Happy Father's Day and for the sweet card and phone call yesterdy. Love you honey, you are the best!
Diddy
Jerry and I made sure to make my Dad's day a good one too (Jack)....even tho' he is not my real Dad...he has been like the best Father in the whole world to me for 35 years. So blessed. Sat around the firepit with the family, listening to the creek and eating roasted marshmallows. It is always great to be with family, and I am so glad you are getting to know more about your family and meeting new cousins. Have a great week, McRae and Ross, and we'll talk when we get back from Banff Canada. Love you guys!!

Penny

encouraged2change said...

Been so excited to have you get to spend time with my brother Ralph. You will now remember him as the great man I know and love so much, Having12 Aunts and Uncles form one Love between Ralph and Lillian Johnson. Has turned into almost an entire tribe that you have a lot to be proud of. Love that you get this intimate time with Marie she has always been an inspiration to me. Looking forward to the next Skype .

Love PJ