Sunday, July 21, 2013

Our Tale of Canterbury

July 4, 2013

                  




The ruins of St. Augustine’s Abbey painted us a picture of how segregated life was between the parishioners and common people. There were two graveyards, two mess halls, and separate entrances to the church which worked to keep higher ranking officials more comfortable than the peasant’s who lived and worked outside the abbey. 



The ruins dated back to Roman times, although there were different eras of construction found throughout the grounds. New construction versus rebuild from destruction is a common theme we have noticed at the heritage sites we have visited. From outside enemies to the King of England each abbey, chapel, and castle has experienced some form of expansion or regression.

                          


 After our tour we sampled the abbey’s mead… also learning that all mead is made from honey. This stuff was 14% alcohol and still tasted just like honey. With the mead being so strong it is hard to imagine a monk drinking his day away, yet still able to do the detailed scribe work of book making.

  

Quaint square in Canterbury

Next, we strolled through the very English historic town of Canterbury. We saw the cathedral from the outside but did not pay the 15£ each to see inside.  In the square just outside the cathedral entrance we heard awful beatboxing, followed by a choir of at least 25 people singing religious hymns, which sounded much better.   Did you know that there are sister stores like the Dollar Tree, even in charming towns like Canterbury? It was called “Poundland;” it was much nicer than the Dollar Store’s I have visited in the states.   

A repurposed English home 
                           


    


























Pebbles and flowers all the way to the shoreline 
As the evening sunset rolled in
we pulled over and walked down a beautiful beach side public park/ walkway.  Walking along the pebbled covered beach we found 3 starfish in the surf.  Then we made up a rock throwing game….if you hit a solitary brick on the beach you got a kiss, but if you hit the metal chain on the brick you got two. It was a win win for both of us because I am a terrible aim.


I had never found a living starfish in the wild
                                   


P.S. My husband makes me put these silly
pictures on here!
Mexican was for dinner!!! Which made me SUPER happy; I have only been craving it for 3 months…. I ate every bite of my fajitas as if it was my last meal before execution and washed it down with my beloved Patron silver.

3 comments:

Jerry and Penny said...

Love the picture of you McRae in the field of flowers! Beautiful area and looked like great weather....no rain. Your Dad got your Happy Birthday message on the phone. We had a busy day with Phyllis and Bill and going to my folk's house for brunch and to the movies. Lone Ranger....loved it! Glad you finally got some Mexican....always good to us!

Love you guys!!!

Penny and Jerry

drummerkick2013 said...

I love your Canterbury tales! speaking of things related to Abbey. I am going to super impose you in my poster of Abbey road! I'm going to put you right behind Ringo star! Its going to so cool! I love you!

P.S I just got your post card. breath taking skyline! cant wait to see it for my self someday!

Unknown said...

Mexican McRae! That picture is gold, sister :)