Monday, November 11, 2013

Pristine Dream

October 11-15, 2013


Brienz, Switzerland 
                               
Natural beauty cannot be fabricated! Everywhere I look I see hidden gems! Peaks of mountains, cliffs covered in snow, the alpine tree line, aqua marine colored lakes, and waterfalls spraying out of rock faces. This scenic area is known as the adventure capital of the world. Interlaken, Switzerland offers outdoor sports year round such as snow and water skiing, canyoning, ski diving, rock climbing, bungee jumping, and paragliding. We spent five blissful days relaxing, taking in all the natural and man made scenery. Let me paint a picture of a few of our most magical moments in the Swiss alps.
Interlaken, Switzerland











































Paragliding

Waking up at our campsite on the morning of our jump!
My knees were shaking, my heart beating so fast I could feel it in my throat. I was suppose to run when told to but I was afraid my legs wouldn't listen. Standing at 2,000 feet on a steep mountain slope I was about to jump into the wind and fly. We were told it was perfect conditions, just as soon as the clouds dissipated. When I got the word I began to run. I slipped on the slick mud and was picked up by a gust of wind. Instantly all my fears were gone! Some how I was actually even comfortable. Never in my life have I had fear disappear so quickly. It was exactly how I imagine Glenda the Good Witch feels when floating into munchkin land inside a bubble. Ross described his experience as soaring like an eagle. He knows exactly what a birds eye view looks and feels like. Paragliding in Switzerland was a one of a kind experience for me because I am afraid of heights and hate the feeling of my stomach in my chest from falling; so I would normally never do anything like this. But after watching people land safely in the grass area in the center of Interlaken for 3 days I was confident enough it was safe. The wind carried us for about 30 minutes before we did some roller coaster style turns as we prepared for our smooth landing.




Our parachutes laying on our jump slope












All geared up

















Landing Area located in the Center of town














Swan Dance


After pulling over to admire the magnificent views of the mountains and gorgeous lake I became awe stuck by the radiant white of a swan in the water. Pulling my camera out I walked over to him and began filming. It was as if he me say, “ ACTION” because he began the show. Stroking the water with style, he puffed up his chest, curled back his wings, and began to drink. His neck bent in a S formation; not awkward but elegant. A few moments later his harem paddled over stealing away his attention and the show was over..... good thing I got it on video.



The Three Some



Pro Picnicking

Professional picnicker....? Is there such a thing? If so, Ross and I have earned the title. We've picnicked everyday for 5 months and are pleased to do so because with that comes great freedom when choosing your dinning room view. Variety is the flavor of life which we enjoy and Switzerland's splendor has given us plenty of delicious moments. The landscape is a masterful work of art; vibrant colors, and fresh air, free alpine mountain water fountains located conveniently just off the road. Streams, lakes, and waterfalls; so many I could not count. Finding a breath taking place to take a bite was never challenge.




























Snow Play

Waking up in the morning surrounded by mountain peaks so high they look as if the puncture the sky. Covered in glowing snow as dawn breaks it clears the dense clouds away from the night. The clouds open like a curtain revealing the larger than life size mountains. All of which I found inspired my desire to go explore. We decided to drive up to the where the snow began. The trip up the mountain took some tricky driving due to the narrow roads, step cliffs, and sharp turns. At the top none of that mattered! Looking out we could see the lake meet the mountains below. The sharpness of the cool fresh air filled my lugs exhilarating my spirit. The snow was a perfect as I had imagined from below; fluffy, not compact. Just for right snowballs and snow cream!


















Endless Waterfalls

Throughout this trip I have learned that as ugly as it sounds the more I see the harder it is to “WOW” me anymore. It is one down side to extended travel like this. Although there is one sight that never seems to get old and that is a waterfall. Seeing one every now and then is a treat; seeing one 10 every few minutes is the Alps. The Swiss mountains are decorated with them. Each representing the movement of life as the melted snow nourishes the lush valleys where towns thrive.


Small Towns and their Treasures




Swiss towns are dotted along the country roads every few miles each looking very similar to one another but sharing a unique secret craft. The towns are almost entirely made of wood. The chalets are charming and stacked up the mountain giving each owner their own spectacular view. Quaint comes to mind because there are no supermarkets, few gas stations, and not many banks. What many of them do have is a community of artisans who take pride in a specialized craft such as: wood working and watch making. While in Brienz, Switzerland we caught a window glimpse of a wood carving class at the towns wood working school. The streets are lined with sculpture and a carving galleries all displaying exquisite works.






Making friends with locals 
We loved this wood sculpture

































Lake Meets Sky


We were on top of the world! When leaving Interlaken we drove six hours through the Swiss alps and were blow away by the exasperated beauty. At our highest point in elevation, with the car temperature gauge reading -3 degrees Celsius, we got out of the car to take pictures of the peaks and the mountain crater lakes. The wind was whipping which pushed in a few clouds just over the crater lake. There we were watching a cloud skim across a lake at the top of the snow covered alps.  


Lake meet Sky



Terrain at the top of the alps

1 comment:

Jerry and Penny said...

Your Dad and I were just discussing that these places in Switzerland are, by far, the most beautiful places you guys have been so far! Breathtaking is an understatement. I have snowskiied in Garmische, Germany and Zell am Zee and Kaprun, Austria, so I know the beauty of being in the snowcovered Alps. Exhilaration barely covers it! Want to visit Switzerland and see the Matterhorn too! Love your pictures. Very artistic.

Love you,
Dad and Penny